Canyon Concert Ballet offers four diverse programs for dancers who are looking to expand their experiences and prepare for a professional role in dance after high school. You can learn all about them here.
- Youth Ensemble
- Professional Training Program
- Ambassador Program
We will be featuring each of these four programs to detail what they are, who they are best for, and how to join. Today’s feature is Youth Ensemble!
This program is for you if:
- You want to be part of a competition team.
- You want to attend conventions and competitions.
- Want to do outreach once a semester.
What is Youth Ensemble?
The Youth Ensemble at CCB is designed for the dedicated dancer who desires performance and competition opportunities beyond the annual Spring Concert and our holiday performance of The Nutcracker. Dancers may choose to incorporate modern, lyrical, jazz and musical theater dance forms into their dance education and may also be offered the opportunity to perform at community events throughout the year. Our dancers exhibit gracious professionalism at all times and we are strongly committed to age-appropriate music, costuming, and choreography. Acceptance to the team is via an auction process. For application and more information please visit the website.
Eligibility and Requirements
- During the summer dancers must register for at least one ballet and another style class during the 5 week summer session. If they are doing a summer program that would count towards summer requirements.
- During the school year:
- Members of the Teen Dance Ensemble (Ballet 5+) are required to take at least 5 classes per week. 3 ballet classes, 1 modern class, 1 (contemporary, jazz, or hip hop). If they wish to be considered for a dance in a specific style they need to be registered for that style.
- Members of the Junior Dance Ensemble (Ballet 3 & 4) are required to take at least 3 classes per week. 2 ballet classes, 1 (jazz, modern, contemporary, or hip hop). If they wish to be considered for a dance in a specific style they need to be registered for that style.
- Members of the Mini Dance Ensemble (Ballet 1-2) are required to take 2 classes per week. 1 ballet class and 1 in any other style. If they wish to be considered for a dance in a specific style they need to be registered for that style.
- They need to be available for rehearsals during the week before their dance class and/ Saturdays 9-12pm. YE should not sign up for Saturday classes to avoid scheduling conflicts.
- The dancer must maintain good attendance to classes and rehearsals and at the same time conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- The dancer must be able to do the two Convention/Competitions required. Dates for these are available late Summer- usually one in November and one in the Spring.
- Be available for the YE Boot Camp in Mid-August.
- The dancers must at least do one group piece for competitions.
- $15 monthly admin fee per competition dance the dancer is registered (August-May).
- Choreography competition piece cost:
- Group dances of 7-9 dancers $375
- Small Group dances of 3-6 dancers $350
- Duets $275
- Solos $250
- $65 per costume.
- Youth Ensemble Gear: New members will have to purchase a team jacket, duffel bag and garment bag. Costs vary per year depending on manufacturer, but the estimates are:
- Jacket $45
- Duffel bag $35
- Garment bag $20
- Convention/Competition fees: This is an estimate as each one may vary slightly.
- Convention: All dancers must participate in the convention:
- Juniors 7-11 year olds $265
- Teens/Seniors $280
- Solos $130
- Duets/Trios $75 per dancer per dance
- Groups $58 per dancer per dance
*Please note that these are weekend events and many families choose to stay at the hotel the event is being held. Please consider what the hotel stay and food will add to your costs. Staying at the hotel is not a requirement, but these events have early classes and late evenings competition times.
Youth Ensemble Benefits
- Team building.
- Fun activities, events, and experiences.
- Conventions provide the dancer with classes from some of the best in the field.
- Because the dancer has to take so many classes a week and rehearse throughout the year, dancers develop technically and grow in confidence.
How to join
Please email Ensemble<at>ccballet.org by June 7, 2021 for next steps in joining for the 2021-22 season!