Whether this is your dancer’s very first Nutcracker with one special dancing role, or your dancer’s 10th Nutcracker with 3 special dancing roles, a Nutcracker “run” (what us dancers call several performances in a row) can be stressful and exhausting for the whole family. Here are a few of my suggestions to help all of our dancers (and their families) have a fabulous week. Diet: All our dancers are going to be burning lots of calories. In order to perform at your best, it is important to eat the right kind of calories. Choose foods that are high in complex carbohydrates, which provide energy; lean protein, which helps repair damaged muscles tissue; and healthy fats, which help your body function at an optimal level.
- An example breakfast would be scrambled eggs, whole-wheat toast, low-fat yogurt and an orange.
- A good lunch might be a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread and some grapes, or a pasta dish with protein accompanied by a piece fruit. (Stay away from Top Ramen and other processed foods.)
- A good dinner would be spaghetti with meat sauce, whole-wheat bread, broccoli and low-fat milk.
- Snacks: hummus and veggies, apple and peanut butter, crackers/cheese, fig bars.
- Stay away from: All refined sugar, frappucchinos, sports drinks, energy bars.
- Need an electrolyte boost: Eat a banana and drink some coconut water.
- Hydrate: Drink plenty of water throughout the day!
Other important tips:
- Don’t play rough on the playground – literally. Older dancers, don’t change your workout/dance routine. Be careful going up and down stairs, etc.
- Sleep, sleep, sleep! Yes, this will be tough but do your best to get a full night’s sleep all week long. Adult dancers, don’t go out and celebrate until after the run.
- Check your bags carefully before leaving the theater and before coming to the theater each night to ensure you have all your important items.
- Label all your belongings.
- Bring activities for your child for the long hours of waiting.
- Pack plenty healthy snacks and water!
Above all, remember to treat each show like it is your first and your last because every show is someone’s first time seeing the Nutcracker. The Nutcracker brings new dancers and dance lovers into our world each season! And, how amazing is that!